Thursday, July 31, 2014

Listen with All Your Heart.


So, today I had the opportunity to go to our local retirement home and "perform" at a birthday party. I sang four hymns: "Amazing Grace", "Victory in Jesus", "It is Well", and "Jesus Paid it All," and had the best time in doing so. I absolutely loved being able to make their day just a little bit brighter. Talking to them or simply smiling their way can make such a difference. And one of the greatest gifts you can give anyone, is taking the time to listen.

I was especially taken with a couple who would be married for 64 years this coming December. At first, I chatted with the husband, and at one point he said to me: "I am so glad to you see you have a heart after God, once you have that you're pretty much set." Then he gave me a smile and a wink. After that, I went down and sat with his wife and we talked for a little while. Eventually her husband came to sit by us, and said he had a little story tell. His wife laughed and said "I have to hear this one every time." He smiled and then asked me playfully, "You've heard about World War II haven't you?" "Yes sir!" I replied. "Well, back then the men who were old enough to serve went off to war, and the women old enough to help went to the factories and bases and such. At that time, they didn't have a bus driver. So, my Junior and Senior year of high school I fulfilled that role." He looked over at his wife and smiled before saying, "She was on my bus route. She was petite, and attractive, a lot like you are." I giggled. "We went together a little while, and then we'd go out with other people, and then we'd get back together. We did that for 4 years, I never really quite caught her, but I guess she liked me enough to marry me." I couldn't stop grinning. After her husband left, I began to ask questions like "How old were you when you got married?" "Twenty-one," she replied. "What year did you marry?" "1950." 

I was just mesmerized, and in awe. More than sixty-three years together, and they were still as in love with each other as ever. She told me it wasn't always sunshine and blue skies, but they had each other and Jesus and that as enough. That's the kind of relationship I'm waiting for.

What an amazing testimony. I can't tell you how much those few hours talking with them totally brightened my day. I can't wait to go back and visit even more. All it took was the willingness to listen. That's all it took, not just to hear what they were saying, but take it to heart. Conversations like that only come every once in awhile, and it's important when the opportunity arises to take hold of it. I'm so blessed to have experienced this today.

Proverbs 2:1-5 says this: "My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding, and if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, and if you look for it as for hidden treasure, then you will understand the fear of the Lord and find knowledge in God." 

We must listen attentively to whoever we may bump into. Whether it be our parents, friends, people we don't talk to, a sweet elderly couple, or most importantly God. In doing this, we will gain knowledge and understanding.

When has been the last time you have not only heard someone talking, but truly listened? Sometimes it's best if we shut our mouths and let others do the talking. We will be amazed on how much we learn from doing that. Not only in our relationship with God, but with the people we encounter in our lives.

Let Us Pray.
Dear Jesus,
Thank you for this day, and for precious moments such as these. I was so blessed by their sweet spirits and love for You as well as each other. I pray that I would have that kind of relationship someday, and I pray this not only for myself, but for those reading this right now, if they don't already have it. Help us to not only hear what You say to us, but truly listen wholeheartedly.
In Your Precious Name We Pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment